Thursday, June 08, 2006

Special article for all you Dad's!

Here is a special article that we found at http://www.ladypens.com. It's a great article written by Darlene Arechederra. We hope you like it as much as we do.

Corrie and Kevin.



A Father, A Champion

By: Dar Arechederra

"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolutions." -- Khalil Gibran

It's Father's Day, a special day to honor our dads. But throughout the other 364 days of the year, what is it that reminds you of your own father? What have you learned from him? Have you told him lately? Father's Day is the perfect time to let him know -- and is a small gift to him that costs you nothing.

I'm constantly reminded of my father. For me, it's the smell of diesel. No, that's not a typo... You see, he was a mechanic who spent his life repairing engines. He came home tired at night, his work clothes streaked with grease and oil. I grew to love that smell. It meant, "Daddy's home!"

He's a bit older now, a little grayer. He's not as tall as he once was. And he moves much slower these days. His joints are tired from years of standing and kneeling on concrete.

Yes, there've been many changes over the years... But things I've learned from him remain the same:

* Tenderness need not be mistaken for weakness.

* It's okay to be humble - you have nothing to prove to others.

* It's easier not to do a thing, than be forced to watch over your shoulder constantly.

* Pursue the things you love, even if they don't work out the way you hoped they would.

I like to think I've inherited his love of learning. Word has it he's been learning new songs from sheet music recently...

And money -- was there something I learned there, too?

*Enjoyment* I don't need to buy everything new in order to enjoy my purchases.

*Appreciation* I learned to appreciate the things I have. To take care of them. To make them last.

*Patience* I learned to hold off buying things until I could afford to pay cash for them.

*I've learned from his mistakes -- and his successes.

Is it any wonder a father holds such a special place in a daughter's heart?

What have you learned from your father? What reminds you of him throughout the year?

Have you told him lately?

Article by:

© 2004 Darlene Arechederra Darlene Arechederra leads the delightful series, "Coming Home: A Woman's Journey to One-Income Living." Women of two-income households who want to find their way back home from the workplace will enjoy this gentle, energizing jumpstart. Visit with Darlene at http://www.AffordtoStayHome.com/info.htm

This article is available for reprint with author's resource box intact and all links live and clickable. Copyright is reserved by author.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home